Saturday, November 17, 2007

Weekend Edition: Unique Christmas Gifts

On the weekend edition, I'm apt to take a departure from normal data governance and data quality topics and talk about... well, anything. This weekend, I found two very unique holiday gifts that I wanted to share with you. I'm not making money off this, just passing an idea along.
The first is shown here. My friend Joe Unni is offering a line of very unique, handcrafted clocks. In his custom furniture business, Joe is always on the lookout for interesting and exotic pieces of wood. He then meticulously sands and finishes them, and produces some very cool clocks. I had a beer with Joe a few nights ago, and he told me that he was able to get his hands on some 50,000 year old Kauri wood that was previously buried in New Zealand. The wood isn't petrified, but has some very unique qualities that you can't find anywhere else. He also showed me some other exotic woods that naturally come in oranges and purples. I think it's just a great gift idea. If you want one, it's best to give him a call on the number listed on his Web site.

Winter "Gardening"
I'll tell you my second unique gift idea, as long as you don't tell my sister. My family are avid gardeners, and it doesn't make sense to give gardening items in the winter time. If you've ever tried to shop for a gardener, you know that gardening items are hard to find in November and December. However, I think my sister will really enjoy the home mushroom kit offered by Mushroom Adventures. The kits have everything you need to grow a couple of crops of mushrooms. The mushroom soil comes inoculated with the mushroom mycelium (the fungus). You just add water and wait for the portabellas. Yes, it is a little "out there" in terms of gifts, but perfect for my family. It beats a boring pair of gloves.

No comments:

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer. The material written here is copyright (c) 2010 by Steve Sarsfield. To request permission to reuse, please e-mail me.