Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Data Governance Insider - Year in Review

Today is the one year anniversary of this blog. We’ve covered some interesting ground this year. It’s great to look back and to see if the thoughts I had in my 48 blog entries made any sense at all. For the most part, I’m proud of what I said this year.


Probably the most controversial entries this year were the ones on probabilistic matching. This was where I pointed out some of the shortcomings of the probabilistic technique to matching data. Some people read and agreed. Others added their dissension.


Visitors seemed to like the entry on approaching data intensive projects with data quality in mind. This is a popular white paper on Trilliumsoftware.com, too. We'll have to do more of those nuts and bolts articles in the year ahead.


As a data guy, I like reviewing the stats from Google Analytics. In terms of traffic, it was very slow going at first, but as traffic started to build, we were able to eke out 3,506 Visits with 2,327 of those visits unique. That means that either someone came back 1,179 times or 1,179 people came back… or some combination of the two. Maybe my mother just loves reading my stuff.


The visitors came from the places you’d expect. The top ten were United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, India, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, and Israel. We had a few visitors from unexpected places - one visitor from Kazakhstan apparently liked my entry on the Trillium Software integration with Oracle, but not enough to come back. A visitor from the Cayman Islands took a breaking from SCUBA diving to read my story on the successes Trillium Software has had with SAP implementations. There's a nice webinar that we recorded that's available there. A visitor from Croatia took time to read my story about data quality on the mainframe. Even outside Croatia, the mainframe is still a viable platform for data management.


I’m looking forward to another year of writing about data governance and data quality. Thanks for all your visits!

No comments:

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer. The material written here is copyright (c) 2010 by Steve Sarsfield. To request permission to reuse, please e-mail me.